Listen to the Message
“Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.” President Kennedy
Ask not what others can do for you; ask what you can do for others.
The 70s became the ME Decade
Looking Out For Number One
I just believe in me. John Lennon
If it feels good, do it.
Humans have always had a what’s-in-it-for mind set
We begin to see beyond ourselves.
Our challenge, as believers, is to look beyond the world of me, into the world of those whom God has called us to serve.
“Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all.” Mark 10:43-44 NIVUK
“so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel round his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped round him.” John 13:4-5 NIVUK
“A dispute also arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest.” Luke 22:24 NIVUK
We’re called to serve one another.
Everybody can be great ... because anybody can serve. Martin Luther
“You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.” Galatians 5:13 NIVUK
1. Serve With A Hands On Approach.
- Our feelings and deeply held values are a call to service, a call to get involved at the hands-on level.
- A fully engaged hands-on servant
- There is a difference between actual service & lip service.
- But there were some who thought such work was beneath them.
- I’m talking about being more than a consultant.
- Life is full of unplanned opportunities to be a servant to those around you.
2. Serve With A Low Profile.
- He didn’t want ego to get in the way of a person’s ability to minister. Chuck Smith
- There’s nothing glamorous about it, but it is part of being a servant.
- “But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” Matthew 6:3-4 NIVUK
- God sees what we do.
3. Serve With No Strings Attached.
- “We’re not raising money. There’s no charge. We’re just washing cars as a service to the community.”
- We’re here to serve, no strings attached.
- “Look for opportunity to serve others in a no strings-attached, no-quid-pro manner.”
- Do for others what they cannot do for themselves, and expect nothing in return.
- “Do something for somebody everyday for which you do not get paid.” Albert Schweitzer
- “Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:10 NIVUK
- We will never outgrow the need to serve one another.
- Ask not what others can do for you, ask what you can do for others.