Psalm 82:3-4; Proverbs 31:8-9; Proverbs 24:11-12
3 Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless;
maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.
4 Rescue the weak and needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
-- Psalm 82:3-4 (NIV)
8 “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.
9 Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights of the poor and needy.”
-- Proverbs 31:8-9 (NIV)
11 Rescue those being led away to death;
hold back those staggering toward slaughter.
12 If you say, “But we knew nothing about this,”
does not he who weighs the heart perceive it?
Does not he who guards your life know it?
Will he not repay each person according to what he has done?
-- Proverbs 24:11-12
We tend to think that abortion only takes a single life—the unborn child—but it doesn’t end there. Had my mother been aborted her five children would not have been born. That makes six lives a single abortion would have eliminated. But there’s more. My mother’s five children had nine children of their own. That makes fifteen lives that would have been eliminated had my mother been aborted. But there’s more. My mother’s nine grandchildren have seventeen children off their own. That makes thirty-two lives that would have been eliminated by a single abortion in 1925.
In my mother’s case a single abortion would have eliminated thirty-two lives—her own life, the lives of her five children, her nine grandchildren and her 17 great grandchildren—making a total of thirty-two. Now let’s apply that to the 58 million lives that have been taken by abortion in the last 44 years. Multiply 58 million by 32 and you get one billion eight hundred fifty-six million.
Let me say it again: “The consequences of abortion reach far beyond anything we can imagine. Its costs are virtually incalculable.”
Which bring us to this question: “If abortion is so unspeakably hideous—and it is—how can a civilized nation allow such atrocities? “
Several reasons come to mind.
1) Law-abiding citizens have great respect for the law and the Supreme Court has ruled that abortion is legal therefore many accept it no matter how disgusting they may find it.
2) Abortion masquerades as a medical procedure and is carried out in a medical clinic under the guise of medical treatment although it treats no illness and cures no disease. Its only purpose is to kill the unborn child.
3) The victims of abortion are invisible to everyone except those involved in the abortion industry. Their silent screams are never heard.
4) It is cleverly packaged as “Choice”—a woman’s right. Well it has been said, “He who frames the question wins the argument.” In reality no one has the right to “choose” to end another person’s life even if that person is still in the womb. The real question is: ““Do you believe a mother should have the right to have the baby in her womb put to death before birth?” I think not!
Let me suggest some things we can do.
1) We can educate ourselves so we can speak knowledgably to the issue.
2) We can wear pro-life jewelry as a conversation starter and prophetic witness.
Consider these facts:
By the third week of pregnancy (before the mother even knows she’s pregnant): “The embryo has a primitive pulsating heart and a system of blood vessels. It is manufacturing its own blood, independently of the mother and often of a different type from hers. The brain, liver, pancreas, lungs, spinal cord, and nerve system are forming.”
By the fifth week: “all major structures of the body are in evidence, and important muscle groups are in place.”
By the sixth week: “The four chambers of the heart are complete, and the heartbeat is very much like it will be in adult life. The child has detectable brain waves.”
By the twelfth week: “all organs systems are complete and functioning. Digestive system is complete. Bone marrow is producing blood. The part of the brain associated with pain perception (the thalamus) and the nervous system are well developed.”
If all the scientific evidence says life begins at conception – and it does – then an abortion terminates a human life no matter how early it is performed. And if we support abortion on demand we are giving the mother and the abortionist the right to take the life of the unborn child.
Here’s some more things we can do:
3) We can volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center or some other pro-life ministry.
4) We can support the pro-life movement financially.
5) We can vote for pro-life candidates.
6) We can pray without ceasing.